Monday, April 7, 2008

Sraddha=Faith



Just 1 year and 1 day ago a huge blessing came into this world. Our daughter, Anahata, was born! The journey to that day and the journey to today was a huge leap of faith, sraddha. In 2004, I found out that I had three large tumors on my ovaries. They had to be removed because of the risk of them rupturing or twisting my ovaries and damaging my ability to have children. So, 6 weeks before my wedding I decided to have open abdominal surgery to remove them. It was supposed to be a 1 1/2 hour surgery, it took over 4 hours. When I came to, my doctor told me that we would have to see if I went into menopause since over 1/2 of each ovary had to be removed. I prayed. I chanted. I believed I would be able to have a baby, to not go into early menopause. I had faith that what ever happened it was a journey into the unknown.

4 weeks to the day after my surgery I had my cycle. I celebrated like it was my first cycle! About 4 months after that, with a clear bill of health, we decided to start trying to get pregnant. We did about 1 year later, but lost the baby soon after finding out that we were pregnant. So, back to the faith! After another year, we got pregnant again and then our sweet Anahata came to us on April 6, 2007.

In Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras, 1:20, Pantanjali writes, "Wholeness is preceded by faith, energy, mindfulness, union, and awareness. " We need to have faith in the process, the practice, the outcome, the teacher, and the yoga. Faith is made up of trust in ourselves and trust in the experience of life working out. Faith is the williness to step forward with no guarantee that we won't fall. The mystery of the universe and our existence in it demands faith in all that we do.

Cheers to Faith........Sraddha!

No comments: